Tuesday, February 23, 2010

25 critical clunkers I secretly enjoyed

The other day a technically bad but otherwise undeniably entertaining film came on AMC (remember when they showed actual American movie classics?), and I got to thinking about the greatness of guilty pleasure movies. Those flicks that you have to decry publicly because they're critically reviled, but secretly get the urge to watch on occasion. As far as ranking these 25, I found it difficult to think of criteria on which to judge (how does one measure guiltiness?), so I went chronologically. Forgive me for my poor taste, but take a look first at your guilty pleasures before you judge...

Harry and the Hendersons (1987) - Overboard (1987) - Tremors (1990)
Toys (1992) - Casper (1995)

Cutthroat Island (1995) - Jumanji (1995) - The Net (1995)
Conspiracy Theory (1997) - Dante's Peak (1997)

Gone Fishin' (1997) - Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997) - Hope Floats (1998)
Blast from the Past (1999) - Drive Me Crazy (1999)

Heartbreakers (2001) - Rush Hour 2 (2001) - The Mummy Returns (2001)
High Crimes (2002) - Two Weeks Notice (2002)

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) - Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004)
Van Helsing (2004) - Vanity Fair (2004) - Orphan (2009)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Net" gave me nightmares as a kid, but somehow whenver it's on TV, I can't help but watch it...

But I'd have to say that my biggest guilty pleasure movie is "The Craft." Same story as above (nightmares, man!), but I seriously CANNOT. TURN. THE. CHANNEL.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Jesus, Sandra Bullock has been in some terrible movies haha but you know I've a soft spot for Bridget Jones 2 myself.
Is it really a clunker if she got Renée a Golden Globe nod?
Anyways while I love the drollness of the first movie I'm a sucker for the silliness of this one as she unleashes her purely insane side.

Jessica said...

I love your non-pretentiousness in admitting that there are days when you just want to watch something silly. I share 12 of your 25. What is it about sequels? and Sandra Bullock?

Have you seen the Mandy Moore classic "Chasing Liberty"? That's my most criminal of guilty pleasures.