Sunday, August 30, 2009

best films: #88: THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

Previously ranked and blogged at #94
Let's make one thing infinitely clear:  I'm a sucker for WWII movies.  This one in particular stems entirely from my grandpa's undying adoration for this movie (and, his personal favorite, Patton).  But the reason The Bridge on the River Kwai is on my 100 favorite films list is for a typically unlikely reason when it comes to war movies -- the performances.  It features my personal favorite Alec Guinness performance, as well as a cast of more minor roles that are unexpectedly poignant ("Madness!  Madness!").  "Colonel Bogey's March" aside, this movie has immense rewatchability (Believe me, I know.  I've seen it upwards of fifty times).  Though it may lack the intensity of more modern efforts such as No. 95 on the list, it's a wonderful showcase for Guinness, and it set the tone for all future depictions of "the great war."

Standout Performance:  It's quite clearly Guiness, but I'm a fan of Sessue Hayakawa's performance as Colonel Saito as well.

No comments: