Wednesday, August 10, 2011

august MOVIE MEME, day 10: last movie I bought on dvd

Now that my first encounter with DVDs is out of the way, it's time for my last one.  Now, technically this one isn't entirely a DVD, but we'll call it even anyway.

The Fighter (2010, dir. David O. Russell) - I had to hold out on this one.  The cinematography was far too genius to watch it on DVD alone - I needed that new-fangled blu-ray.  Thank you for kindly sales!  Though I haven't fully embraced the blu-ray phenomenon (in fact, I don't even have a blu-ray player yet... just preparing for the inevitable), I think I'm about up to six or seven at this point.  How are you handling the blu-ray switch?  And if you're relenting (took me a while, but at least it's not as apples and oranges as cassettes and discs), how are you justifying which ones need replacing and which ones are just fine on DVD?  This one was a no-brainer for me, but what of all these beautiful Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter blu-rays?  Is replacing worth the trouble?  (I'm directing this to you, blu-ray aficionados.)

1 comment:

TomS said...

The Borders Bookstores are closing and having big liquidation sales. I just got "I Am Love" (2010 w/ Tilda Swinton) and the Criterion Collection version of "Z" (Best Foreign film and BP Nominee, 1969).

Everyone tells me to get a blu-ray, but I'm worried that a new format will come along...I'll wait a bit...