Wednesday, August 03, 2011

august MOVIE MEME, day 3: first movie that made me cry

Now that we've got all that sports movie stuff out of the way, it's time to open up the floodgates.  How many of you remember the first time a movie made you cry?  For me, it was definitely a strange experience.  How to explain the occurrence of tears at something that wasn't sad at all to an eight-year-old is a tough one...

Apollo 13 (1995, dir. Ron Howard) - Yep, this was the one.  First off, I l-o-v-e-d this movie as a kid.  Maybe it was the related series of pogs that came out along with the space-shuttle-shaped storage system you could pick up at Hardees, or maybe it was that Tom Hanks could do no wrong in my eyes, but the movie had a hold on me.  I haven't seen it in quite a while, and I hesitate to guess that it may not have the same impact on me as it did at the time.  But it was also the first time a movie got me choked up.  At film's end [SPOILER ALERT] the astronauts return home after an unfortunate failed mission, and as they gladly step back on earth's soil and slo-mo walk toward their families, they're subsequent life stories overlapping the shot, it began.  You know, it probably was James Horner's score that did me in.  There's nothing like sweeping music to get you going.  Anyway, the walk home afterward was definitely riddled with questions of "what about that happy ending made me cry?" directed toward my parents.  And I've been a movie softie ever since.

1 comment:

TomS said...

Luke I'm a movie softie as well, so I appreciate your expression of emotions at movies.

The First Movie that made me cry....Hmmm, a hard one...I've drained tearducts at many a film...

The first time I remember crying in a theater was at the end of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975). But I think it was that old tear-jerker, "The Yearling" (1946), watching it on TV as a kid, and weeping for the poor fawn...Seeing it now, and understanding it more deeply, I am just a wreck...I tear up during the opening title music!